Collects and prepares specimens for laboratory testing. Assists in performing laboratory tests and procedures to meet the needs of patients as ordered by the medical staff. Keeps appropriate individuals apprised of any abnormal test results in a timely manner. Assists in providing tests and procedures in the areas of Clinical Chemistry, Blood Bank, Hematology, Microbiology, Serology and Coagulation, and Urinalysis.
Key Tasks & Responsibilities
- Obtains blood specimens by performing venipuncture and finger sticks. Obtains other specimens as appropriate per lab policy and protocol.
- Creates an atmosphere of trust and confidence with the patient while explaining procedures and obtaining specimens.
- Verifies patient by reading patient identification.
- Verifies drawing labels by comparing information on labels information on nursing desk top. Brings discrepancies to the attention of Lab Manager.
- Maintains specimen integrity by using aseptic technique, following department procedures; observing isolation procedures.
- Collects therapeutic drug-monitoring assays by collaborating with nursing personnel to ensure appropriate drug dose to collection time.
- Tracks collected specimens by initialing, dating, and noting times of collection.
- Identifies, labels, and stores specimens properly.
- May assist in performing tests and procedures as ordered by medical staff.
- Organizes daily work schedule and schedules tests according to date requested, type of test, sequence in series and other factors.
- Gives priority to STAT orders.
- Uses established laboratory techniques.
- Resolves unusual test orders by contacting the nursing station, or reference laboratory; referring unresolved orders back to the originator for further clarification; notifying supervisor of unresolved orders.
- Follows hospital and departmental safety and infection control policies and procedures.
- Answers telephones, takes and delivers messages.
- Cleans area and equipment, appliances, instruments according to established procedures.
- Actively protects patient and self by following OSHA and other standards reviewed in annual training.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Actively supports and upholds the mission and core values of the Hospital.
Remains knowledgeable of and follows the policies of the Hospital.
Maintains patient and hospital confidentiality at all times.
- Keeps Manager apprised of day to day situations.
Qualifications & Requirements
High School Diploma or equivalent. Certified Phlebotomy Technician (CPT) or ASCP (American Society of Clinical Pathologists) certification preferred.
One year phlebotomy experience.
Environmental and Physical Requirements
The employee works in a temperature controlled environment. There is a potential for contact with chemicals, blood borne pathogens, and exposure to infectious disease. Employees should be able to lift 30 pounds using proper lifting technique several times during their shift. Employee stands most of the work day.
KSSH provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or any other protected category as required by state and federal law.
How to Apply
About UsLocated in Wichita, KS, Kansas Spine & Specialty Hospital is a regional center for the diagnosis and treatment of disorders of the spine, joint & bone (read more)